It is the beginning of the spring season here, in Quincy, and that means our spring opener is around the corner. The annual Dogwood Festival is partnering with Lincoln in the District to bring the community an all-day celebration on May fourth and we are proud to announce that IEC will be sponsoring this year!
At IEC, we felt this year was extra special as we are celebrating the golden anniversary of the Dogwood Festival. It’s been 50 years since this tradition started at Quincy and it continues to bring us numerous memories with our families and friends. We are inspired by the story of Mary Lou Kent, who founded the Dogwood Festival to bring tourism to Quincy while showcasing our beautiful trees in full bloom for springtime.
After the Dogwood Parade, the festivities will continue in the District to commemorate Abraham Lincoln’s life and legacy that’s part of Quincy. Our community will be able to relive history with re-enactments and engage with Lincoln himself. There will also be featured musical entertainment, family activities, and demonstrations to help us step into Lincoln’s shoes when he lived here. We are looking forward to continuing this Quincy tradition in our beloved hometown.
Below is the schedule for the 2019 Dogwood Festival, and it is subject to change. Visit this website for continuous updates.
Thursday, May 2
• 7:00 p.m., Little King and Queen of Dogwood Pageant, Quincy Mall Center Court
Friday, May 3
• Noon – 1:15 p.m., Concert in the Plaza, First Mid-Illinois Bank Plaza next to St. Boniface Church
• 5:00 – 7:00 p.m., Hope for Horizons, Quincy Country Club, 2410 State St.
• 6:00 p.m., Ribbon Cutting to kick off Dogwood, St. James Lutheran Church, 900 S. 17th St.
• 6:00 p.m. – TBA, St. James Lutheran Church Third Annual Block Party.
Saturday, May 4
• 8:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m., Quincy Farmer’s Market opens
• 8:30 a.m., Breakfast on the Lawn, First Christian Church, 1415 Maine
• 9:20 a.m. Blessing Health System/GatesAir Dogwood Parade, 24th and Maine, proceeds west to 6th St.
• 10:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m., Lincoln in the District, Washington Park.
• 3:00 – 6:00 p.m., QUEST Derby Party in the Country, 7007 N. 12th, Quincy.
• 7:00 – 10:00 p.m., Free Fallin – Tom Petty Tribute Concert, Morrison Theater, 100 S. 14th St. Proceeds from the concert will go toward the renovation of the Washington Theater.
• 11:00 p.m., Amateur Night, The Cab – Quincy, 124 N. 5th St. Open to any performer who wants to entertain a crowd. Must be 21 or older.
Sunday, May 5
• Noon – 4:00 p.m., Log Cabins Open House, Quinsippi Island
We’re proud sponsors of the Lincoln in the District this year. Here at International Eyecare Center, we want to provide our patients with world-class care. Schedule your annual eye exam with us at any of our 12 IEC locations!